Saturday, November 5, 2016

All Saints Day

Today is All Saints Day in Sweden, and the library is closed. We don't really celebrate All Saints Day in America, but Latin Americans do celebrate Dia de los Muertos or day of the dead. So, I guess we 'Murricans bastardized it into Halloween. It's kind of a leap how honoring ones long gone loved ones morphed into costumes and trick or treating, but what can I do about it?

Anyway, the Swedes have drunk the Halloween Kool-Aid so to speak, so we had a really fun haunted house (spökvandring) at the library where we turned the basement auditorium, periodical room and archived books rooms into a haunted house that visitors wandered through.

This week I also invited the second-graders from the school I normally work at to listen to a Halloween story hour. Although I was kind of sick, my hoarse witch voice worked and I found some great shortish funny, scary and really scary ghost stories to read. I turned out the lights in the children's section, lit LED candles and read the stories with a flashlight. These things made the atmosphere cozy and spooky. Super fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment